Installation for Linux
Make sure you read the Getting Started page.
Debian and Ubuntu
- Download the latest .deb file
- Update apt by opening a console window (CTRL+ALT+T should work) and type:
sudo apt-get update
- Navigate to where you downloaded the installer and either double-click on it, or use the command line:
sudo apt install ./jamulus_3.8.0_ubuntu_amd64.deb.
- Once installed, you can delete the file and close any console windows.
Note that if you need to upgrade Jamulus to a newer version, just download the new .deb file and re-install as above.
Set up your hardware
Configure JACK with QjackCtl
Jamulus clients need JACK to run, but you need to configure that first. The recommended method is to use
- Launch QjackCtl. You will see the Qt JACK Control utility main page
- Configure your audio hardware as follows (the exact settings for JACK will depend on what your audio hardware is capable of):
- Set the audio Interface to the one you want (there may be several in the list)
- Set the Sample Rate to 48000
- Set the Frames/Period to 128 and Periods/Buffer at 2 at first
Restart JACK for the new settings to take effect
With JACK running and configured, launch Jamulus.
If you get problems with sound breaking up (in particular XRUN errors reported by JACK/QjackCtl) try setting bigger values (e.g. 256 frames or 3 periods). Lower ones (e.g. 64 frames) could bring better performance but maybe more sound problems. See the troubleshooting page otherwise.
Take a look at the